10 Lab tests you must do during pregnancy in Nigeria
The following tests are very important during antenatal. Your baby needs to be protected. You too. So apart from the normal history taking and the physical examination that the doctor does, we need some laboratory investigations or lab tests to help us take care of you. The following lab tests are important – blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasound
Blood tests to during pregnancy
1. Full blood count : This helps to know if any blood line is below normal or above. It checks for your haemoglobin level, platelets, red blood cells, white blood cells. The most important being the haemoglobin. A haemoglobin count below 11g/dl is defined as anaemia in pregnancy. It has to be taken serious.
2 . Blood group: There are four types of blood group – A, B, AB, O. And you can either be Rhesus positive or Rhesus negative. The Rhesus is important to us. It helps to prevent erythroblatosis foetalis – a disease that occurs when the mother is Rhesus negative and the baby is rhesus positive. You may not understand these things. You do not need to. Your doctor will take care of you. I’m just informing you just for you to have an idea of what is being done.
3. Grouping and saving: After knowing your blood group. You may need to donate your own blood to be kept in the blood bank. So that, if on the Labour Day, you have need for blood, you will not receive blood from another person. You simply take back yours.
4. Haemoglobin Genotype – Many couples usually do this before marriage. But it will be repeated. So that if your baby is SS, then you start on time to prepare for the task ahead. In this age I don’t believe any woman should give birth to an SS baby, considering the level of sensitization done.
5. Infections – Infections like to HIV, Syphilis, hepatitis B, and now COVID19 are done.
Urine Tests done During Pregnancy in Nigeria
1. Urinalysis – This particular test is very cheap. But has a lot to reveal. It is very important, done on every antenatal visit. Your urine is collected and analysed to check for the presence of some substances that could point to a disease. The following are checked :
- PH – The Normal ph of urine is about 6. A range of 4.5 to 7.5. Above that shows the urine is alkaline, below that shows the urine is acidic. There are so many things that cause that. We talk about it when we discuss urinalysis in details.
- Bilirubin – Bilirubin in urine is a sign of liver problem.
- Proteins – Protein in urine can be due to kidney disease. There are other causes though.
- Ketones – This could be early sign of diabetes. Other causes can be starvation, high protein diet, fasting.
- Glucose – glucose in urine may suggest diabetes Mellitus.
- Red blood cells – This suggests kidney damage.
- Nitrite, White blood cells- These could be signs of infections.
- Haemoglobin – shows haemolysis – breakdown of red cells. So many causes out there. Malaria is important cause of it.
2. Urine microscopy, culture and sensitivity – Here the middle stream urine is used. To check for Microbial infections. Middle stream urine is the urine collected in between urination. It is collected and subjected to series of laboratory procedure to find out if there are infections.
Ultrasound scans during pregnancy in Nigeria
Usually three scans are done – first trimester, second trimester, third trimester. But at least two must be done.
- First trimester scan – Is for dating the pregnancy, to know how many weeks or months the pregnancy has stayed. It also serves for screening of birth abnormalities. This first scan is Best done between the the 11th week and 14th week. Do well to present to the hospital during this time please.
- Second Trimester scan-This scan is both done at the 18th to 22 weeks. It is very important too. It is scanning for anomaly in the baby. The anatomy of the baby is checked to make sure the head, neck, hands, legs, fingers, toes, and other parts of the body are complete and whole, lacking nothing. I’m sure you wouldn’t want a baby with 7 fingers, or 3 toes. So kindly note that between the 18 and 22 weeks f your pregnancy is crucial for your baby.
- Third trimester scan – Is aimed for checking the babies well-being. As you approach labour, it’s wise a final check is done, to be sure that the baby is alright las las…
I hope you have learnt a few things, about these tests that you must do during pregnancy Do well to appreciate, ask questions or tell us your own view using the comments box below. Thank you.