Infertility: 11 neglected Causes in the men, No. 8 will shock you!
Infertility is the inability to become pregnant after one year adequate and regular, unprotected sexual intercourse, and without any form of contraception.
What is amount intercourse is adequate? You must have sex at least three times every week.
What are the types of infertility ?
What amount is regular? That three times a week, must be maintained. You do not do it three times this week, and jump next week, then start again. It must be regular (every week) and adequate (at least three times in each week) .
Based on state of conception :
- Primary Infertility – It means the woman has never been pregnant before and the man has never fathered a baby before.
- Secondary infertility – It means the couple have mothered or fathered a baby before either together or outside their marriage.
Based on On the couples:
- Male-factor infertility – 30% of the causes of infertility
- Female-factor infertility – 30% of the causes of infertility
- Both causes – 25%
- Unknown causes –15%
Causes of Infertility in the man in Nigeria
Low sperm count is the single most important factor as the cause of infertility in the man.
Note: the low sperm count we mean here comprises of the decrease in quantity and quality of the sperms. But we cannot be talking about low sperm count here. We will go into details and find our the things, either foods or lifestyle that can make you loose your sperm quality or quantity, so that
1. Exposure to Cadmium heavy metal: found in:
Consumer products – cigarettes, batteries, craft glazes, jewelry, and metal coatings
Food – some shellfish, kidney meats, grain cereals, and vegetables
Air – cigarette smoke, second-hand smoke, and emissions from fossil fuels
2. Exposure to Lead:
You get exposed to heavy metals like lead through the following :
Paints(older homes, old toys, furniture, crafts)
Folk medicines, ayurvedics, and cosmetics.
Children’s jewelry and toys.
Workplace and hobbies.
3. Aflatoxins .
Aflatoxins are toxic compounds that are produced by some fungi that are found on agricultural crops such as maize (corn), peanuts, cottonseed, and tree nuts. The main fungi that produce aflatoxins are Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus. People get infected eating rotten infected peanut, maize, groundnut, tomatoes as well contaminated milk.
4. Pesticides: Exposure to pesticides like the mosquito repellent, otapiapia, anticockroach, spider and all those chemicals we use at home. Inhaling them might be dangerous to health. So after spraying, you may wish to give some time before you enter the room.
5. Hormonal problems
Testosterone stimulates sperm production. So when the the testosterone level is very low, then there will be problem with sperm production.
6. Tight fitting pants : This increases the heat in your genitals. Sperms are heat labile. So that place must not be subjected to undue heat.
7. Trauma. Injury on the testes can inhibit blood supply to your testis and reduce sperm production.
8. Long distance driving – Sitting on that engine for so long is a way of cooking your sperms. They are dying of heat.
9. Sexually transmitted infections : HIV, Gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes, syphilis etc, can lead to infertility in the man
10. Urinary Tract Infections : Some body called it toilet infection. Please there is nothing like toilet infection. It’s called urinary tract infection, usually due to use of public toilet.
11. Excess of Antioxidants in the body. This also contributes not just to low sperm count but to ageing too. Hence you are advised to take a lot of antioxidants like vitamin c and E pr