Coronavirus Outbreak in Nigeria – all info!!!
Few days ago, Nigeria was greeted with the most unholy news of the moment – Coronavirus has entered Nigeria. As unfortunate as it appears, we have little options other than to acquaint ourselves with knowledge and information about the coronavirus outbreak in Nigeria.
What is coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a family of viruses. It is not one particular virus. So it is a family of viruses that are known to causes mostly infection of the respiratory system. Examples of coronavirus infections are SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), and MERS ( Middle East Respiratory Syndrome). These two diseases were caused by coronavirus, but the one that caused SARS was not the the one that caused MERS. SARS broke out in 2003, it was a world problem then just as it is now, but was later put under control. 9years later, in 2012, the MERS broke out too, caused by another type of coronavirus. Then 7years later, December 2019 to be precise, another strain of coronavirus broke out in the city of Wuhan, China. This thing is so bad that the drugs used in treating SARS and MERS cannot be uses in treating this new one. The WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO) has given this new one a new name – COVID-19 which means Coronavirus Disease 2019. That is the coronavirus that broke out in Nigeria now. Before we go further, let us look at viruses as a whole, and understand some of their characteristics.
Characteristics of Viruses
- They are ultramicroscopic – that is, they are so small that they cannot be seen with a normal light microscope. Unlike bacteria that can be seen with light microscope, viruses can only be seen with an electron microscope. So they are that small!
- Viruses are non-cellular – This means that they do not have cells of their own. A cell is the small part of any living organism, that has the capacity to carry out the various characteristics of living things which include respiration, movement, digestion, growth, nutrition, Irritability, Excretion, Reproduction, death. So because viruses do not have cells of their own, they cannot carry out the above mentioned Characteristics of living things. In other words, viruses are as good as non-living.
- Viruses are inactive when outside a living cell- This means that if virus is on top of your book, tables, spoons, doors, phone, etc; it is completely useless. It is only useful when the virus enters your body, and then into the cells of your body that it becomes active starts manifesting the above features we listed above as the Charcteristics of living things.
- Viruses cannot multiply on their own – Even when the viruses successfully enters your body and into your cells, it cannot still multiply on its own. It unites with the components of your own body cells, before it can start multiplying. This is one of the reasons viral diseases are difficult to wipe out from the body because before a virus inside your body starts to hurt you, it is already part of your own body system. So any drug targeted to kill the viruses is likely going to kill your own normal cells too.
So with these few characteristics of viruses, I do hope you can now understand coronavirus and its outbreak in Nigeria better, because coronavirus exhibits all the above features mentioned and even those not mentioned. With these in mind, let us now talk about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in Nigeria.
What are the causes of coronavirus disease 2019(covid-19)
The covid-19 is caused by a novel corona virus (n-Cov). It is a new strain of the coronavirus that cause SARS and MERS in 2003 and 2012 respectively. The virus that was transmissible from animal to man has now been confirmed to be transmitted from one human to another.
How can one get Coronavirus Disease
Regarding coronavirus outbreak in Nigeria, many persons are asking this question, Coronavirus that they can protect themselves well.
Coronavirus can be gotten by staying very close to someone that has the virus when the person is coughing or sneezing. When someone coughs, or sneezes the viral particles are released, and if you are very close to the person, you can breathe in the viruses into your body.
Coronavirus can also be gotten through handshake. If you shake someone that has the virus, you can pick the the virus in your hands, and through that, you can infect yourself by touching your eyes, mouth, ears, nose etc.
Coronavirus disease can be deposited on objects such as door handles, tables, chairs, pens, spoons, books, cups etc. And when you touch these objects, you can carry the virus and infect yourself. Remember I told you that Coronavirus (and in general, viruses) can survive outside a living cell for sometimes, even though they are inactive. So a virus deposited in the door handle of your bank can be a potential source of infection. Even though the virus is not active outside a living cell, once it is transmitted, it can become active inside your body.
How can one prevent Coronavirus disease in Nigeria
Since the Outbreak, I know before now, you have been bombarded with lots of precautionary approaches to prevent getting corona virus in Nigeria. So I will be building upon the knowledge you have already about preventing coronavirus in Nigeria.
- Avoid crowded area: Staying away from the crowd as much as you can can help you from contacting coronavirus. In fact, overcrowding has always been the Hallmark of diseases outbreak, with coronavirus not being an exception, and Nigeria being overpopulated, makes it worse. This is because, you are less likely to be exposed to someone coughing or sneezing.
- Get a small towel Handkerchief: With this you can easily cover your face when someone is coughing or when you are coughing, because you cannot completely avoid meeting people, in this period of coronavirus outbreak in Nigeria
- Continuous Washing of hands: Washing of hands should be a daily habit with or without corona virus Outbreak. Washing of hands is an art, that must be learned.Watch video of how to wash your hand here
- Facemask is meant for those who are sick already or health care workers attending to patients. It is not an advisable method to use in preventing coronavirus infections, especially in this period of Outbreak in Nigeria. Wearing facemask can make you more likely to get infection if you are not careful. This is because you will be continuously be adjusting your Facemask and at the same time touching your face, depositing some viral particles on your face. Facemask can also give you that false reassurance of being safe, hence you might become complacent.
- Alcohol-based Hand Sanitizer – This will also help in keeping your hands as almost always sterile. It helps to improve the discomfort of washing your hands every time. I learnt the price has increased because of increased demand. It should not be so in a disease outbreak time like this, especially with coronavirus being as deadly as it is. I think Nigerians involved should please reconsider.
Coronavirus Outbreak in Nigeria – General Advice for the General population
- Avoid Fear: Fear is the single most important factor that is likely to kill more than the coronavirus. In Nigeria today due to coronavirus outbreak, people are doing so many things out of fear. There is no need to be afraid. There are lots of diseases that God may have prevented us from getting, but because we did not see them, we thought we were so careful. The truth is that we can not be careful enough. We have to do the basic things we should do, and allow God to take control in the affairs of men. China seems helpless despite building a 1000 capacity hospital in 10days. There is no need to fear, that is the handiwork of the devil. Once you become afraid, you loose control of your sense of judgement and reasoning. And you are likely to misbehave out of fear. In actual essence, fear is likely to expose you more to the virus than preventing you from getting the virus. Take the case of Ebola outbreak, so many persons out of fear, drank so many concoctions, including raw salt. Some died from complications of what they drank and not from the Disease Outbreak itself. So kindly remain calm in the face of any disease outbreak. Coronavirus is in Nigeria, but none has died from, and we pray, that none shall be lost to coronavirus amen. Please remain fearless!
- Pray – This corona outbreak in Nigeria is one of the evidences to show that man cannot help himself. Humanity must recognise this fact, and return back to her maker. “Men ought always to pray, and not loose heart” Luke 18:1
“If my people who are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and heal their land” 2Chron. 7:14
- 4. Boost your Immune System:
- There is no better drug than your immune system. Your immune system is your body’s defence mechanism. It is so powerful that it protects you from diseases without you knowing. For you to come down with any infection at all means that your body could not control it. So you only take drugs to assist your immunity fight disease. As a matter of fact, that is all we have got against Coronavirus now. Since there is no drug to help wipe out coronavirus in our bodies, the best bet is to boost our immune system with natural foods. Some foods that help in boosting the immune system include:
- Vitamin C
What is the treatment of coronavirus virus infection in Nigeria.
There is currently no vaccine or drug cure for the coronavirus. Everything for now, is preventive approach.
Why you should be calm
The statistics about coronavirus outbreak and its casualties is so much in favour of Nigeria and black race as a whole.
See the screenshot below from Worldometer as at today march 7, 2020