Effect of Pregnancy on mental health
The mental health of women has beeen found to change few months to some years after child birth.
The cause of this change is what is yet to be determined, but some risk factors have been established.
In a study carried out with about about 600 women, published in tanford,
the maternal mental health was evaluated after childbirth with a view of finding out the mental state of the mother after delivering her baby.
The following set of women were found to stand a risk of poor ,mental health immediately after giving birth:
- Women who gave birth prematurely
- Those whose delivery were characterized by insecure attachment styles,
- Lower marital quality,
- Younger age,
- Higher level of education.
That is not all. This poor state of mental health is not irreversible. With good health care women involved can regain their health normally. The women who stand a better chance of recovery are
- Those that are multiparous (that is, those that have given birth to multiple children),
- Those that that are younger,
- those who gave birth prematurely, and
- those with high level of education.
However, worthy of note is the fact that these are affected by:
1. The circumstance that surround the birth
2. The psychological factors
3. the social conditions prevailing at the time of delivery.
Your mental health must must not be joked. It can affect other aspects of health if not properly managed.
Socialization is very important. Don’t bottle up things because that’s how your are. You can change if that’s truly how you are. I don’t believe those “that’s how I do”. How ever you think you are doing, can be changed.
Ahu ihe ka ubi, eree oba. (When you see something more than farm, you sell the barn”-Igbo adage
In conclusion, your mental health as a woman I important to you. Treat it as something important.