How to Prevent UNINTENDED PREGNANCY in Nigeria
Unintended pregnancy is a pregnancy that was not a willful intention of the the woman in question
There are three types of Unintended pregnancy:
1. Mistimed pregnancies – they are wanted but not at the time it came.
2. Unwanted pregnancies: These one are never wanted. They are neither planned, nor timed. They come due to error. Examples are pregnancies due to rape, sexual intercourse between two unmarried people, etc.
Categories of persons that usually come down with unintended pregnancies
According to a study, unintended pregnancies are common in the following persons or group of persons :
1. Those between 20 and 30 years.
2. Low social and economic class
3. Less educated
4. Have had at least one previous pregnancy before.
How to Prevent UNINTENDED PREGNANCY
1. Abstinence : Prevention is better than cure. You cannot become pregnant if you don’t meet a man. So the surest way to guarantee yourself a 100% safety from unintended pregnancy is to abstain.
2. Use of Contraceptives : Read the approved methods of contraception
There are about 19 methods listed there. Read it please.
3. Education. Seek knowledge, just as I said above , the level of education has been found to contribute to unintended pregnancies.
Is abortion the answer?
No, it is not. It is better to prevent the pregnancy than to get pregnant and seek to terminate it.
Mean while, the issue of abortion has remained controversial in many countries.
However, it is still illegal in Nigeria.
So it’s better to thread on the part of caution than to allow your self to be caught in the web.
What of Pregnancy from Rape?
Rape is an offence against the government. There is a punishment for rape.
If you are raped and wish not to carry the baby, kindly report to the nearest police station and lay your complaint, and it will be followed up from there.
Nobody might be willing to go against your wish, but just like I said earlier, it is a legal something. So follow the legal pathway.
1. Unintended Pregnancy, by Gillian Dean, Rachel Masch