The effects/safety/health risks of Ginger in Pregnancy
In this article, we shall be discussing The effect of Ginger in pregnancy, the safety and the health risks/harmful effects
Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy
Studies have confirmed that ginger can be used as an effective herbal remedy to treat the nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. Nausea and vomiting are common side effects experienced by up to 50-80% of pregnant women during their First three months of pregnancy.
Ginger is a common food additives used in our environment. It’s unique taste in serving as a spice in foods especially stew is almost welcomed by many.
How safe is the use of Ginger to treat the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy
Studies showed that ginger is significantly safe to be used during pregnancy. It does not pose any significant health risk or side effects.
How efficacious is the use of Ginger as a treatment of nausea vomiting in pregnancy
Use of Ginger in pregnancy nausea and vomiting is as effective as the use of vitamin B6. A study has been carried out to compare ginger and vitaminB6. Ginger was found to be as good as vitamin B6.
Other health benefits of Ginger in pregnancy
From a consensus study between between gynaecologists and physicians, , Pregnant women are hereby informed that ginger could be beneficial in the following conditions:
- Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy
- Vomiting of motion sickness
- Relieve of cough
- Flu relieve
- Enhancement of natural milk production
- Relieve from Chronic pulmonary disease has been associated with ginger
- Reduction in chronic joint pain
- Good skin health
- Reduction in appetite for those with eating disorders
- Ginger may promote weight loss
- Enhancement of urine production
- Ginger helps to subside stomach upset
The same consensus reached the following conclusions as potential harmful / health risks of Ginger
- Ginger can induce diarrhoea
- Causes fever
- It can cause headache
- Ginger may induce thirst
- It may cause skin itching
- Belching may be associated with ginger
- It can induce somnolence (drowsiness)
- Ginger may cause sweating
In summary, ginger is beneficial for the health of the pregnant woman and the baby. But the expert input from your doctor remains paramount.
Thank you very much for reading.