What actually is Allergy, treatment
*INSPIRE YOUR HEALTH-WITH MODESTA*
*I am allergic to this, I am allergic to that, and that…and so on*
*_WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE TERM “ALLERGY”??_*路♀️
An allergy occurs when your immune system reacts to a foreign substance which normally doesn’t cause a reaction in most people.
This allergy of a thing starts when your body system mistakes a normally harmless substance for a dangerous invader coming to harm you.
These harmless substances that are capable of causing an allergy, are known as *“Allergens”.*
*_What exactly happens in allergy??_*
Normally, your body’s immune system produces some substances known as “antibodies”. These antibodies are what protects our bodies from germs and other disease causing organisms that could make us sick or cause infection.
So in allergy, the immune system produces antibodies that identify a particular particular allergen as being harmful even when it isn’t. Example smoke, dust, particular types of food, odour, perfume, etc.
When you come in contact with the allergen, the immune system’s reaction can then lead to symptoms such as redness of the skin, itching, blocked airways, teary eyes, sneezing, coughing, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, red eye, etc, depending on the part of your body that is affected.
So that’s how allergy happens.
What is the treatment for allergy.
What will your doctor do
Your doctor will try and identify the triggering substances.He will then conduct series of tests. After that he will place you on drugs that will help you control your symptoms anytime they come. Symptoms can be relieved. But to cure it, you have to avoid the trigger.
Different types of allergy and their symptoms
1. Hay fever allergy: It is also called allergic rhinitis and may cause:
- Constant Sneezing
- Watering of the eyes
- Eye redness
- Itching of the nose or throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
2. Allergy to food– symptoms include
Skin redness and itchness
- Tingling sensation in the mouth
- Swelling of the lips,
tongue, face or throat
3. Allergy to Drugs: Different drugs come with different symptoms . Eg
- Noisy breathing
- Itching of the Skin
- swelling of the face
Common Triggers of Allergy
- Certain foods like peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, fish, soy, egg and milk.
-Airborne allergens like pollen, dust etc.
-Insects stings like bee sting, wasp sting etc.
- Drugs, Eg. Penicillin
-Latex materials can cause allergy to the skin too.
Risk factors that can predispose you to allergy
- You have close family members who have allergies or asthma.
- Are a child: children are more at risk of developing allergies more than adults.
-Have asthma: Having asthma makes you more at risk of having an allergy.
What are the Treatments and prevention For allergy
-Allergen avoidance: This is the most significant step in preventing and reducing symptoms of allergic reactions, and it involves being observant and identifying and avoiding those things that trigger the allergy.
- Just avoid anything that makes you flare up.
- If you are allergic to dust, reduce your exposure to dust mites by frequently washing beddings.
- Be watchful of your activities like what you eat and be very observant to see how your body reacts to them.
Complications of Allergy
- Loss of consciousness
- Feel of LightHeadedness
- A severe drop in Blood pressure
- Nausea and vomiting
- Feeling like you are suffocating
We’ll stop here for today and I sincerely hope you have been able to learn one or two about “allergy”. 🤗
Remember to share
Do have a lovely weekend and always remember that I love it when you are healthy and happy🤗